An employer will be conducting an investigation for theft in…

An employer will be...

An employer will be conducting an investigation for theft in my place of work. I have stolen in the past but the items in question are not of my doing. Still, this investigation could catch the real culprit but also expose me. How do I prepare for the chance I may be caught for earlier theft?

Lawyer's Assistant: What province are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None. I just learned of the investigation yesterday. Mind You, the investigation consists of camera checks. I don't know how far back they will go.

3/15/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Are you saying that you stole items from your employer and are worried now that you will get caught during this investigation but that it was quit a while ago?

How much were they worth?

that is exactly what I'm saying. An investigation (camera checks) will be done for the missing inventory that came up recently that I didn't take. But some time ago I did commit theft. These camera checks might also discover my previous theft.As for the items, I can't remember the exact dollar amount but I know for sure it was under $1000 even under $500

There is nothing for you to do now. If you are caught then you will be caught. You can consider giving the items back now and showing remorse but it will be clear that you are doing that as you believe you will get caught.

If you are caught then you will be dismissed for just cause immediately and there will not be a thing you can do about that. But you can then offer to make restitution and pay them back at once for the value of the goods so they don't call the police.

If they do call the police you will be charged and this will be much more serious than shoplifting as you were in a position of authority. So if you are caught then you have the right to speak to a lawyer before making a statement to the police and you should demand that you speak to lawyer first.

If you are charged because you were in a position of trust you should retain a lawyer to represent you as otherwise you may end up with a criminal record.

I am sorry this is not what you were hoping to hear for the most part but at this stage you need an accurate answer so you don't make further mistakes that harm you further.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Thank you for your honest response. Being fired is the very least of my concerns compared to what the other possible outcomes may be. I wanted to know a) if I am caught and the other employee is caught and the company doesn't press charges on her can they still press charges on me?
B) if I am caught and asked to be spoken with, do I request my attorney at that point or do I wait till they actually bring the police into the situation?

Yes they can call the police on whomever they wish.

You don't need to speak to a lawyer before you make a statement to the police but it may be better so you don't say the wrong thing to the employer that you do say you will not comment or answer questions until you've received legal advice.

Debra, Lawyer
Last question. In your opinion should I retain counsel now or wait it out and see if I am caught and then hire counsel? If I am not caught after the investigation I would resign anyway. Keeping the job is not my priority.

I would say to wait. There is no point in paying legal fees at this point.