Are you at ease with Quebec civil law? Not yet. I am looking…

Are you at ease...

Are you at ease with Quebec civil law?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Quebec lawyer about this?

Not yet. I am looking for one who is English-speaking.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I haven't taken any, but I would like to find out from a lawyer if my case is worth pursuing first.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. In short: My son's wife of 10 years (she was 34) was dying with cancer, and among other assets the couple had a life insurance policy worth $100,000 with Industrial Alliance Insurance. My son was the only beneficiary. They lived in Calgary, Alberta. The doctors gave her six months to live, so he flew his wife back to Quebec in February 2013. so that she could die among her own people. He left her with her mother and sister in an apartment we had prepared for the couple to spend their last days together, while he went back to Alberta to "close up shop". His wife had been on heavy morphine for at least six months and she was very weak and frail. When he came back a week later, the mother-in-law and sister-in-law refused to let him in to see his wife. He was extremely frustrated and called us (his parents) to ask if he could stay at our place until things settled down. He had to communicate with his wife by e-mail. She told him she would let him know when it would be okay for him to come. Out of consideration for her and her state, and to avoid a scene, he waited. His wife died in June. Three days before her death, the two ladies came up with a "will" they had concocted--which signed "tous mes biens" (French for "all of my goods") over to her sister. It was signed by two witnesses. They also removed his name as beneficiary on the life insurance policy and substituted it for her mother's name. My son, the rightful husband of 10 years, was stripped of everything. It has now been almost 5 years since his wife's death, and we are wondering if the "will" can be contested on the grounds that the testator was unduly influenced during the drafting of her last wishes. The will itself was supposed to have been "homologated" and is signed by a notary, but we understand that, legally, each page should be initialed by the notary and the witnesses -- which was not done. QUESTION: Do you think the husband would have anything to gain by pursuing this issue at this point in time?

I believe the province of Quebec has its own Civil Law Code -- which varies somewhat from Canada Law. That is why I asked you if you were familiar with it.
3/15/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

There are no lawyers from Quebec on this site. I can suggest how to find a lawyer in Quebec if that will help. If it will let me know but if not please ask for a refund.

I would greatly appreciate your help in finding a good English-speaking lawyer who operates in the Eastern Townships region of Quebec (serving towns and areas such as Cowansville, Knowlton, Sutton, Bedford,etc.) Thank you in advance.

What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $30.

Here is a link to their contact information:

http://www.barreau.qc.ca/en/public/trouver/avocat/

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.lexpert.ca/directory/find-lawyers-or-law-firms/

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer
Thanks! I meant to give you a five-star rating but was distracted. Your answer was very helpful.

The rating harmed my stats to be honest.

Can you please contact customer service and ask if they can correct the rating? I am not sure that they can but if you contact them perhaps they can.

Thanks

I was entirely satisfied with Debra's answers and intended to give her a 5-star rating. However, I was distracted and the message got sent before I was finished. I contacted her about it immediately, and am now wondering if there is any way you can change my rating for her from 3 stars to 5 stars? Hope so.

Thanks. This message only went to me though.

Can you write Customer service and ask them please?

Thanks