In 2008 I received a medical procedure in Ontario for

In 2008 I received...

In 2008 I received a medical procedure in Ontario for prostrate cancer called HIFU (High Intensity Frequency Ultra Sound). It cost over $20,000. At the time CFIA had not approved this procedure in Canada, for whatever reasons but Europe and other countries had approved.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My understanding CFIA has approved this procedure in Canada, so I wonder if there is any chance to file a claim to Ohip.

3/15/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this happened to you.

Unfortunately there is really no likelihood that OHIP would agree to cover a procedure done in 2008. First, they have to approve before you have the procedure. Second the limitation period for suing in Ontario is two years so if they refused to cover you back in 2008 you would have to have sued within two years.

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer
Debra, Lawyer