My father died Jan.5/18. He left when I was, did not pay any…

My father died Jan.5/18...

My father died Jan.5/18. He left when I was young, did not pay any child support but promised to put 3 of us through university or the equivalent. When we asked him for help, he said he changed his mind but would help us in the end. He didn't. My sister is mentally ill and in dire need of help and I have struggled all my life too. Can we fight this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Saskatchewan, Canada.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have contacted about 4 lawyers by email, but it would have to be contingency and no one has helped. I have a copy of the will.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is this going to be an email conversation?

3/14/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry for your loss and this terrible situation.

How old are you now? How old is your sister? How old is your other sibling?

Thank you - I'm 53 and my sister is 63. My brother is dead. Do I need a lawyer to contest this, or can I at least delay the settlement until I get help and how.

Was there an order that he pay child support?

No. He was a wealthy, educated man and my mom trusted that he would at least educate us. I have family who knew the deal and will back me up. If there was anything on paper it disappeared when my mom died. The only hope anyone has given me so far, is that he should have at least been responsible to help my mentally ill sister. We tried to keep in contact with him over the years, but he really pushed us away. He had a common law partner who got everything given to her and her family. I just have to try.

I hate to have to be the bearer of bad news but there is no likelihood that you can successfully sue the estate now.

If there had been an order that would be a different matter.

Your sister can only make a claim if she was financially dependent on him at the time of his death.

There is no law that says he has to leave you part of his estate and no way to sue the estate now. Your mother had to sue him while you were children.

I wish I had a different answer but you need the right one of course.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer
Thank you. You are the first person who has just told me what I suspected. I told him I respected him and loved him and missed him, but he pretended not to have kids. Mom was too trusting and I guess I was in denial that he knew how hard things were for us and would actually throw us to the wolves while he sat at his country club. Thanks for the closure at least.

I am saddened to hear this. I understand how you feel.