My mother had a verbally abusive ex boyfriend. He has been…

My mother had a verbally...
My mother had a verbally abusive ex boyfriend. He has been out of the house for over 1 year and refuses to pick up his stuff. He is now threatening to put a lien on our house unless we give him $20,000 cash and pay off his car loan. We are unsure if he was considered common law. He was in the house for 2 years but the original marriage (from 2 years prior) did not have the divorce finalized until he was already in the house for 6 months. Basically at this point, he has a bunch of items left at the house (total value <$1000) he has continually said he will come get it but misses every date set up. This has been going on for over a year. My mother has moved some of it to a storage locker but now is having to pay over $150 a month in storage fees. We just want to move on with our lives.My question is; should I move all of (rest of) his stuff to a storage locker?
If so can it later be transferred to his name at a later date(asap)?
3/13/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

In my view your mother and you are doing more than you need to do.

I suggest that your mother send him a letter by Registered Mail giving him a firm deadline for removing all of his things from your mother's home and from the storage locker.

The letter should say if that does not happen then he should know that as of that date your mother will no longer pay the storage fees and will take steps to remove all his items from the home and dispose of them and then will be seeking reimbursement for any costs she incurs.

Then she should do just that. It's been over a year and your mother has been more than tolerant, patient and generous.

Debra, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I really want to say thank you Debra
We will move forward with the letter and transfer of items.

I will be here if you need me again.

Take good care.

Debra, Lawyer