On aug 29 2017 i recieved a notice of rent increase from my…

Customer Question
On aug 29 2017...

On aug 29 2017 i recieved a notice of rent increase from my landlord according to the Form my rent was $650 increasing it by $26 a month to $676 a month to begin January 1st 2018 however they made a mistake I was actually paying $674 a month so they only increase my rent by $2 a month. on December 19th 2017 they sent me another form stating that they made a mistake and that the rent increase was $26 a month the same amount but my rent will now be $700 a month my question is can they do that can they increase my rent twice in one year or is it a percentage thing can they correct their mistake like that and do I have to pay $700 a month or are they just out of luck

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Im in canada abbotsford bc

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No i just have the two rent increase forms

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Canada Law
3/10/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Are you saying they told you that the initial notice was incorrect?

the second notice stated to disregard the first notice that they made a mistake

They cannot increase your rent now. That would be two rental increases in the same year.

They cannot raise your rent more than once in a 12 month period. This will be a second increase no matter how they want to define it.

I suggest you refuse to pay the increase and take this to the Residential Tenancies Branch if necessary.

Does that help?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

thankyou very much

You are very welcome.

Please be sure to rate me before you leave the site so that I can receive credit for my work.

Thanks and enjoy your weekend.

Are you a lawyer or some sort of expert in tenancy law. If the landlord insists that i pay the 700 who do i tell them i talked to to get my information.

I am a senior lawyer.

But what is better is call the Residential Tenancies Branch on Monday and then get them to confirm this information and then report that to the landlord.

And read this:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/housing-tenancy/residential-tenancies/during-a-tenancy/rent-increases