If someone gets my personal information how do I stop them…

Customer Question
If someone gets my...

If someone gets my personal information how do I stop them from getting credit cards in my name?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

I am in Canada. Last evening two young women came to my door collecting for Plan International to help girls in countries that feel that girl are not worth much. They refused to take a cash donation saying that they could get robbed. They wanted my credit card number or a cheque. I did not give them a credit card number, but I did give them a cheque. One girl then handed me her tablet and said I had to initial it for income tax purposes. It was a blank screen. I initialed on the screen. Next I was told that they needed my birthdate. Stupidly, I gave it to them. Now I am concerned that they have all my personal information and may use it to get a credit card or similar in my name.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet. Should I call the police? I am a senior on a very limited income and now am very frightened. Perhaps they will borrow and use my house as collateral.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is all thank you.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Canada Law
3/9/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

You are likely the victim of a scam because I have no idea why they would need your birth date. I do think your concern is valid.

Yes you should call the police at once. Tell them all the happened and then they will guide you as to what you can do to protect yourself.

You should also let your bank know.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?