I have not filed my taxes in the past 2 years in Canada. No…

I have not filed my...
I have not filed my taxes in the past 2 years in Canada. No reason really but pure laziness. I have received a few demand letter to file over the last several months but still haven’t gotten around to it but to Day I get a call from someone at the CRA who leaves a message to call. Should I respond, be worried? I have nothing to hide but really I feel I will get them done on my time.
3/9/2018
DrOlivia-JD-MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

I'm not sure there is *anyone* in Just Answer-land or anywhere else that will say "eh, not a big deal"... I certainly wouldn't say that. These are your taxes after all...

I owe allot of money and I’m saying “eh, not a big deal” I don’t want to deal with that now.

Okay, as long as you're aware that there are financial consequences to all of our business and personal decisions. In general not dealing with things doesn't make the situation any better, particularly when taxes are concerned. Is there anything else I can answer for you Sean?

Not sure you answered my question but that’s ok.
I guess I just want to make sure a police car isn’t going to pull up and the occupants arrest me or my bank accounts be frozen.
That’s ok it appears I have hit on a sensitive subject which I thought I had from the beginning and this is why this service is actually useless and I will not rate you poorly.

Apologies! I typed out an answer it went into the ether... hang on I'll retype.

So, no, a police car is NOT going to show up at your house all the way from Canada!

What? I am in Canada

Your question went to the US.

I know

Okay, now you've confused me :)

Are you in Canada and asking if you need to pay taxes in Canada?

Or are you in the US asking if you need to pay taxes in Canada?

I am a Canadian

So you're a Canad***** *****ving in the US and asking if you need to pay taxes in Canada? Help me out here.... :)

I am a Canad***** *****ving in Canada

In that case, I need to have your question transferred to our Canadian attorneys.... Hang on a sec.

I'm going to opt out and one of our canadian attorneys should be able to respond.

Thank you
Debra, Lawyer

I am a lawyer in Canada and happy to help.

Are you saying that you earned income but not as an employee so no taxes have been paid for the past two years?

That’s correct

So this is actually quite a serious issue. The CRA is going to be very aggressive about this and you will face interest and penalties.

By avoiding their calls you are making the situation worse for you.

At the same time at this point I would suggest you retaining an accountant of some experience to contact the CRA on your behalf. The accountant may be able to try and negotiate some penalty reduction.

Does that make sense?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer