My friend has been charged with fraud. Now her landlord

My friend has been...

My friend has been charged with fraud. Now her landlord wants to evict her

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

The property is in Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My friend has made her first appearance in court I don’t think there has been a formal eviction sent from court

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can we negotiate w the landlord to stay under any possible agereement ?

3/9/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

What are the grounds for the eviction?

Has she received an eviction notice?

Is the fraud relating to the landlord?

The supposed fraud relates to another tenant at the complex

You didn't answer the other questions.

What are the grounds for the eviction?

Has she received an eviction notice?

The eviction seems to be stemming from the landlord finding she is charged w fraud
She has also been slow w rent. But is caught up now
She has received a letter asking her to leave but it’s not titled eviction notice

How many times has she been late with her rent?

Usually late

Then she is not going to be able to fight the eviction.

If rent is paid late three times that is clear grounds for the eviction. She is not going to be able to succeed in fighting this.

She can buy some time in terms of finding another home by refusing to leave but at the end of the day the landlord will get a court order and have her removed by the sheriff's office if necessary.

She can certainly try to come to an agreement with the landlord and if it is one the landlord really likes it may work.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer