I'm renting an apartment and I have a sewerage gas problem…

Hello, I'm renting an...

Hello, I'm renting an apartment and I have a sewerage gas problem in the kitchen. I told my landlord a couple times over the last 4 months, but he is not doing anything because of the snow. I told him, that I have to move out since it start to impact my health, if he is not fixing it over this month. But I have in a contract that I have to pay one month rent if I cancel the contract before it's end.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

It's in (bankview) Calgary, AB Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

It's says that I would have to repair small things like light bulbs but big ones the landlord has to fix.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if I have to pay the extra month rent when I move out before the contract ends or can I move out at your paying it since the issue is not resolved in the last 4 months?

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Have you made a demand to make the repairs in writing?

I wrote him via email and text and ask for fixing the problem.

This is not necessarily grounds for breaking the lease.

The way you need to approach this is to take this before the Residential Tenancies Dispute services and get an order for the repairs and you can also ask for a rent abatement so that you get some rent back for each month that you had to incur this difficult situation.

Here is a link to the information you will need:

https://www.servicealberta.ca/landlord-tenant-disputes.cfm

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer
Hi Debra, thank you for your helpful reply. Yes. I'm good for now.
Kind regards,
Lisa

You are very welcome.

Take good care.