I work in Toronto, Ontario. I just started a new role and…

Customer Question
I work in Toronto, Ontario...
I work in Toronto, Ontario. I just started a new role and report directly to the Director of HR for North America. I have a dotted line to the manager of the facility I work in.I have been with this company for exactly 68 days. In that 68 days, I have been told by those I'm working with that I'm doing a great job and to keep doing what I'm doing. I've also received positive feedback from my manager.The plant manager came into my office on Friday and told me the following:
- my attendance is "atrocious" (My mother in law died of brain cancer during my first month with the company and I was told to go to the funeral, even though I offered to go to the service and then return to work; My father in law then passed away suddenly on February 20th, and again I was told to attend the funeral).
-my performance was "sub par"
-my door had better not be closed the next time he walked by because if it was he would "take it off the f**king hinges";
-I wasn't "knocking it out of the park" and impressing him;
-If he had his way, he would walk me out of the plant immediately;
-things would change starting Monday.I tried to defend myself but was told it was better for me if I just kept quiet and let him talk. He spoke for an hour and then proceeded to leave my office.I attended a meeting at another site. One of my direct reports approached me and told me she had heard through a colleague of the plant manager's that he wasn't happy with my attendance and performance. I then asked around and discovered that this was fairly common knowledge amongst my co-workers and team.I have decided to resign. I will offer to stay on until my replacement is found, but have a feeling that I will be walked out immediately. Under the circumstances, I feel that, if I am walked out, it is reasonable to ask for 6 weeks' severance. In your legal opinion, is it reasonable to ask for 6 weeks' pay? I just want to be able to pay my bills while I find a new job.Thanks..
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Did they lure you away from another job?

No

Then unfortunately there is really no likelihood of you getting any termination pay even if you can prove constructive dismissal because an employee is not entitled to any termination pay if they work for under 3 months.

So if they dismiss you or you resign and say this is a case of constructive dismissal you are not entitled to any termination pay.

I am sorry I have to give you this answer which is not at all what you were hoping to hear.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating despite providing you with bad news but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?