Do you think it worth it to take a bank TD to small claims…

Hi, Do you think it worth...
Do you think it worth it to take a bank TD to small claims court for negligence in releasing my first annual LIF pension withdrawal - requiring me to
a) investigate the applicacal pension reg
b) request BC Superindendent of Pensions to successfully intervene on my behalf
c) get the bank to finally issue a backdated withdrawal 4 months later
d) borrow funds for living expenses until I received my rightful annual pension withdrawallong winded, sorry
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Have you asked them for compensation yet?

Thanks, ***** ***** a token apology from the branch manager.The point is they illegally withheld LIF/RIF funds until the following calendar year based on erroneous advice from their TD Waterhouse investment advisor.I did get my money, but not until PensionsBC intervened and forced them to backdate the withdrawal to the previous calendar year.The damage that they caused was withholding the first year of a 7% max. annual withdrawal of self-directed (RIF/LIF) pension account that was commuted from a Nortel corporate pension when Nortel folded.

So how much do you believe you would sue for that you can prove in court that they owe you.

maybe $5000 via Small Claims court

That would make sense.

I suggest that you send them a letter by Registered Mail and in the letter set out the facts and then explain how you are calculating the $5000 and then give them a deadline for paying you. Tell them if they fail to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking interest and your costs.

Then you can sue them and self-represent and if it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer