I extended my lease in a student house for a following year,

Hi, i extended my...

Hi, i extended my lease in a student house for a following year, same rent price. and i already signed a lease for the first year i was there, now my landlord wants me to sign an identical lease to the one i previously signed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

I am in niagara on the lake ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Yes, mostly cleaning.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thank you.

3/8/2018
DMWEsq

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm so sorry. I see that you are in Canada. This means that I have to opt out of this discussion, alert our moderators, and have them shift you to the Canadian website so a legal expert up north can help. Thanks so much and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you so much for your effort, i see your good ratings. i appreciate you taking the time to look at my discussion.
Debra, Lawyer

I am a lawyer in Ontario and happy to help. The landlords who own student tried to do this to all my kids as well.

But the law is clear and you cannot be forced to sign a new lease. Once your initial lease expires you become a month-to-month tenancy and cannot be evicted without grounds.

I suggest you tell the landlord you are not signing another lease and will remain as a month-to- month tenant and if they don't like it you are happy to go to the Landlord Tenant Board.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you so very much, i got the answer i was hoping for. you get 5 stars.

You are very welcome.

Take good care.

Debra, Lawyer