I am located in Ontario and I pay independent contractors to…

I am located in...

I am located in Ontario and I pay independent contractors to sew products. We pay them by the product sewn or piece work and we do pay 4% vacation on each cheque. Their pay does not go through our payroll system. I am expecting to receive a request for garnishment for one of these contractors. Can I garnish their pay? and if so, how much?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Province of Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not as of yet. I received a phone call saying it was being sent to me.

3/7/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Yes you can garnish them. It's not just about paycheques or employment versus self-employed. Any pay can be garnished, even accounts receivable.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there a percentage that I can go up to eg. 20%?

Yes it is 20% in fact.

Debra, Lawyer
Thank you that is all I need at this time.

You are very welcome.

Take good care.