I was born in Canada but have a valid permanent residency…

Hi. I was born...

Hi. I was born in Canada but have a valid permanent residency card. However, my Canadian passport is about to expire on March 8. I got the application to renew from our local US post office, but it seems to apply only to US citizens with US passports. Who do I contact to renew mine? I am traveling to see family members in Canada next month

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Yes, back in 2013. I have an employment authorization card as well as the permanent residence card. I've been here in the US since 1972.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Back when I got my status, I worked with a lawyer, yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just how do I renew my Canadian passport here in the US where I am a legit permanent married resident

3/7/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

You can apply for a Canadian passport from the US quite easily.

Here is a link to the information you will need:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/renew-adult-passport/how.html

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Thanks Debra, I'll follow the link you sent and we"ll see how it goes. Hope it'll be quick enough to get me on the plane 4/18

You will see that you can do this urgently.

But I don't think it will take that long even if not done urgently. I am quite sure you will get it in plenty of time.

Debra, Lawyer
Thank you Debra, and please excuse me for being slow to rate you. I wanted to make sure I had all the info I needed. I got my passport photo taken today and I'll mail the application first thing tomorrow. FYI, the website says it could take 20 business days for them to process my renewal. That excludes the time it takes to mail from Palm Springs, California to Gatineau, Quebec and back, so I hope you're right about getting it in time. Thanks again. Cynthia

Thanks for rating me and thanks for giving me this update.

My son renewed his passport when he was at school in Tuscon and he got it quite fast. It was less than 20 days but that was about a year and a half ago.

Take good care.

Hey Debra, I must tell you one more thing: I went and got passport photos taken the day after you referred me to the excellent website where I got the renewal application. The forms in the application were so detailed and complete that I realized the head shots were the wrong size, just off by 1/4 inch vertically, before I put all the documents in the mail. I immediately returned to Walgreen's and had the photog resize the image and make new prints. That error would've been enough to have my app rejected and returned and I would almost certainly not have had a valid passport in time for my departure date.
I've written a complimentary review and given you a 5 star rating because you deserve it. If/when I have any legal questions I'll be asking for you! You're the best! In gratitude,
Cynthia

That's very sweet.

I will always be here if you need me.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.