Does your site have a lawyer that can answer a trademark…

Does your site have...

Does your site have a lawyer that can answer a trademark registration question

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the trademark federally registered?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We went to file a logo and then after I was searching google and found the same name registered as a wordmark in Canada. So we are wondering if we have to change our name if its in a different Industry or modify the name slightly

just to add some more information, the name we registered is citiconnect inc. in BC as a corporation that was approved by the government. After we built our website citiconnect.ca, I typed in citiconnect into google and some links came up with the name citiconnect with a registered trademark in Canada and the US by Citibank. So my question is, our company is in the business of wireless networks and sensors and citibank uses the name for a software service connector to financial applications and services that they offer. So, my question is will we have an issue if we use the name or change it to citiconnected and use it on our website citiconnected.com. Citibank does not use the domain name citiconnect.com or .ca. We have registered domain name citiconnect.ca. If there is any risk that this will be an issue later, then we would change the name now as we are just registering a new company for business.
2/14/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear that it sounds like you are in a difficult situation.

Even if you are in a different industry you cannot use a name that was created by someone else without their consent as they hold the copyright to the name.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

I understand that part, but can the new name contain the old name plus more letters...ie citiconnect was the original name and was trade marked, can the new name be citiconnected? Or is that still to close to the old name?

It is likely going to be considered too close to the old name.

Debra, Lawyer