I have a story...over 6 months ago, I worked for Worley

I have a long...

I have a long story...over 6 months ago, I worked for Worley Parsons Cord...I was working for them at a site in Northern BC...and whilst I was doing my normal work, I hurt the tendons in my arm....so much so, that I was seeking help from the Medic on site...what I wanted was an injection to quiet the pain, but the medical officer told me that they do not give injections, but he thinks the best thing for me to do, is to go back to my doctor and ask him to increase my medication, because my body got use to the medication...so I said well if that is what you want me to do, then I’ll have to just go and see my doctor, because he also told me that they don’t give injections and for me to go to the nearest town is gonna take hours...so I had to go...there was no other option...but what really gets me, is they say that I quit my job, which I did not do...I was told to go...but I listened to this medical officer on the phone to someone else, and he told them that I said it would be best for me to go and see my doctor...those were his words to me, to go and see my doctor...with the result that in the past just over six months I did not earn any money and the company I worked for also did not want to take me back, on account of my arm...they said it was bad and they can’t take me back...that really was an unfair dismissal.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Well I was working in BC at that time, but was taken from Edmonton, and probably fall under Edmonton...actually I don’t know the law.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It was a permanent position with Worley Parsons Cord.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well that is basically what happened and I am seeking advice as to how I can get some compensation...I have no money.

2/13/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Did you file a claim with workers comp?

Are you in a union?

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
I filed a report with the WCB and they told me they cannot help, because I quit my job with Worley Parsons Cord. I told them right from the beginning that I did not quit. When I first told my foreman that my arm was so painful, he told me to go and see the medical officer in the camp...which I did. My arm was so painful, I could not even lift my arm to my face to wash it. I mentioned to the officer that I have arthritis and it seems like the arthritis was really getting the better of me. He asked me when I was diagnosed with arthritis...I told him like years ago, but it never bothered me to the extent that I needed some injection to help me cope with the pain.I had to wait back in the camp, because the schedule was on a Wednesday...that was fly day...every Wednesday...when I eventually got to my doctor, I explained to him where the pain was, and he told me it is my tendons and not my elbow...that never happened to me before, but it was directly involved with the work that I was doing...the kind of movement that I had been making for the entire shift.So when I tried to get back to work, they told me that they can’t take me back , because my arm is too bad. So when I tried to get some money from EI, they told me they can’t help me, because I quit...they at Services Canada told me to speak to the WCB, and they eventually told me that they couldn’t help me, because I quit...and I know for a fact that I did not quit...I was told by the medical officer to go and see my doctor...and while I was sitting at his office, he mentioned to someone on the phone that I think it is best that I go and see my doctor...but that is definitely not the case...he told me to go and see my doctor, because I will be sitting in town all day to get to see a doctor...he turned his words into mine...he was lying to get me totally off his case.
I hope you could help me.

I am sorry to hear all of this.

First, you should appeal the decision of workers comp. You didn't quit.

You can get some help for free here:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/employment-standards-advice/personal-injury-and-workplace-safety

As well, this is a case of wrongful dismissal. You didn't quit.

And on top of that you were told you cannot work there because of your arm which is discrimination on the basis of disability.

This means you should consider filing a complaint with the Human Rights Commission:

https://engage.gov.bc.ca/bchumanrights/

There is no charge for filing a complaint.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Hi Debra, I tried sending an email to the first address and it said that it is not properly formed...could you please help me out there...looking forward to your answer.

I just clicked on the link and it went right to the website so I am not sure what you mean.

But just google BC Office of the Workers Advisor.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Hi Debra,
I could not get through at the first address...it said that it was not properly formed...could you please help me with the properly formed address...I have it just as you said, but it doesn’t go through.Thanks.Henry.

I don't know because it does work for me.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Hi Debra, you are very right when you say”you click the link and you get to the website” I get to the website too...but when you try and email the a message, it does not go through to them.
Customer reply replied 8 days ago
Hi Debra, https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/employment-standards-advice/personal-injury-and-workplace-safety/contacts-5662 also failed to go through...perhaps I must send the letter to their street address....it says the address was not properly formed.
Regards.
Henry.

Perhaps fax them or call them or mail it to them.

Debra, Lawyer