Last month, just past the 10 day cooling off period, I had…

Last month, just past...

Last month, just past the 10 day cooling off period, I had various furnace addons installed. my Enbridge has arrived, showing an extra$180 in charges. How can I cancel these contracts?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ontario Canada.Sorry yor service showed on an Ontario search.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I called the parties involved and they say I have to buy out the contract. Price is unknown as there is no term specified.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was told verbally in person by the agent that the additional equipment woyld be covered by my original contract. I was to confirm the installation @ the quoted rates and they would be adjusted.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
I just checked my papers. The installation was dated Jan 27
2/12/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am in Ontario and sorry to hear this.

Are you saying you were misrepresented by the service provider?

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
The service company uses a system of having the agent explain the process and then call his company to get the customer to authorize verbally and record the response. This was done for the original furnace package. This time he told to ignore the quoted charges for the new equipment. This was supposed to be part of the origianl package not completed

And have you told the service company's management that you were told all these features were part of the price?

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
They fell back on the 10 day policy. I also contacted one of the companies now handling the billing. They talked 10 days and said the only way out was to pay the balance of the rental.

They are being unfair and are actually wrong. The 10 day cooling off period has no relevance. You are not changing your mind. Rather they breached their contract with you and for this reason you are asking that either they adhere to what they agreed to or you will seek to have the contract set aside.

You have several options but the first step has to be to send them a demand letter demanding they do what they promised and then if they do now you have other options.

One, and it is likely the one you should try first is to file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Branch:|

https://www.ontario.ca/page/filing-consumer-complaint

You can also complain here:

https://www.oeb.ca/consumer-protection/make-complaint

If worst comes to worst you can retain a lawyer to send them a letter and essentially threaten a lawsuit.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
The problem I see is proving the breach
The rep was in my home and had explained he was trying to clear up the original install as it was incomplete. His instructions were in agreement in that I was overcharged at $80 per month. He was going to make sure I got a refund from the start for the equipment that was not installed. He also ensured me that this to complete requirements for the overdue green energy credit of $1400. I would have to authorize the install of additional equipment. He said to answer when prompted, ignoring new charges. They were part of the original contract. They have proof of me agreeing to the new charged, but none for the inclusion in the original contract.

It may be your word against the agent's but this is not an uncommon complaint and it is very likely you will be the one who will be believed.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Thank you. I will keep you posted when I get a response.

Please do.

I will be here when you need me. For now please be sure to rate me before you leave the site so that I can receive for my work.

Debra, Lawyer
Debra, Lawyer