I am looking for advice. A water pipe burst in my bedroom on…

HelloI am looking for...

HelloI am looking for advice. A water pipe burst in my bedroom on the 27th of December and restoration company has ripped up the flooring. I have since been sleeping in my living room until now (1/22/2018) and my landlord doesn't seem to be wanting to fix the issue in a timely manner. I was wondering if there was a legal option to have my rent adjusted, partial reimbursement etc. due to having access to little living space in the current conditions. I currently live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. So this would be based on Canadian laws.Regards,Jesse Mullins

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Alberta

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

It is a one bedroom apartment.
photos should be attached. If you require more photos or video, let me know.
1/22/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Your first step is to send the landlord a letter (not email) demanding the repairs be made immediately and asking for a rental abatement both because you have not had the use of the entire apartment and for inconvenience etc.

If that doesn't work then your best next step is to bring an application to the residential tenancies dispute resolution services for an order for the repairs and for a rental abatement.

Here is a link to their website:

https://www.servicealberta.ca/landlord-tenant-disputes.cfm

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Hello DebraThank you for your prompt reply. I was curious as to what I do, if my landlord refuses to give me his address? Also what is the typical request for Rent Abatement (IE: Free months rent etc?).Can my landlord evict me due to asking for an abatement or abolish my lease?Regards,Jesse Mullins
There should be an address for Service on your lease. Is there not?No! That is certainly not grounds for eviction. You were asserting your rights through lawful means.
No address for service on the lease. ok great, it worried me that he might try to evict.What is the typical abatement request, such as a free month rent etc?
Generally it would be a portion of the months rent for as many months as you did not have full use of the premises.
Debra, Lawyer