I am thinking about getting a divorce. Can i force my spouse…

I am thinking about...

I am thinking about getting a divorce. Can i force my spouse to sell the house to get my half even if he doesn't want to.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

It is in Ontario Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No but I have proof of physical abuse.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is a lot but that is enough for now

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/22/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Ultimately when the division of assets is dealt with if your spouse will not buy you out then the court will order the sale of the house.

So yes you can force the sale of the house but it may be premature if there are other assets and the court has not considered all the assets yet.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer
Thankyou,
This does answer my question.