How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 107660
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We recently discovered that we signed a rental agreement as

This answer was rated:

We recently discovered that we signed a rental agreement as opposed to rent to own agreement, and the rental terms are ridiculous - 10 years for a furnace and air condition. I want to stop the payments but am worried that the company will file a suit against me. and it is way past the cool off period (+3.5 years) . . . do you have any suggestions? I have done some research on the firm and they have scammed a number of people . . .
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: province of alberta, canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not from me as yet . . . I believe other claims have been filed against the Ontario based company.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: there is lots to the story but not sure how much you need to hear now . . .
I am sorry to hear this.Are you saying you were misrepresented when you first signed up and just discovered this now?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I believe we were
What I suggest you do is send them a letter by registered mail setting out the facts and making it clear that you just discovered now that you were materially misrepresented. Tell them that you want confirmation that the contract will be at in and demand whatever else you feel is fair.Give them a deadline for complying.Tell them that if they fail to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking interest, damages and your cost.You can sue them in small claims court and self represent. If it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on the site again and I can assist you further.Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please don’t call!
The site is just offering the call. It is not me.If you feel we are done please simply rate me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.Have a good day.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you