I want to ask a question here, it is about the broken pipe.

Hi, I want to ask...
Hi, I want to ask a question here, it is about the broken pipe.
I am a international student in Guelph, Canada. I live in a house with my roommate. Few days ago, I went to Vancouver and my roommate also went to another place to visit, so no ones home, we turned the heat down to around 18 degree. When we came back we found that pipe broken. We asked landlord how to deal with but she looks like want us to pay all the cost and she doesn't want to use her house insurance. I have been live in my friend's house for 20 days because there are no hot water in my house. How can I deal with it? Thanks a lot.
1/21/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Are you saying she is blaming you?

she is blaming us.

In Ontario that laws that protects tenants is the Residential Tenancies Act.

The Act provides that it's the Landlord's responsibility to keep the home in good repair.

You may not withhold rent but have other options available to you. Before you exercise these options you have to make your requests to the Landlord in writing.

After that one option is to call the government agency that enforces housing by-laws and regulations if you feel these are being breached.

Here's the number to call for more information: 1-***-***-****.

At the same time you can file a complaint with the Landlord Tenant Board.

Here is a link to the form you will need to do this:

http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/ltb/forms/

You would use T6

You will note that on this form you can ask for a rent abatement, or to pay some of the rent to the Board until the repairs are done. You can also ask to do the repairs and get paid back or have the landlord do them.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

you think the landlord should deal with the broken pipe, not us? She doesn’t want to use her insurance is her problem?And I want to know we give people live in a house, is that illegal? I heard from my Canadian aunt that five people cannot love in a rental house unless they are family.

Yes it's her choice about whether she uses her insurance or not but if you are not at fault she is liable.

I don't know how your house is zoned so I have no idea if it's legal or not.

Ok, thank you so much to help me.

You are very welcome.

Please be sure to rate me before you leave the site so that I can receive credit for my work.

Thanks and take good care.

Debra, Lawyer