I was charged with domestic assault on December 24 2017. I…

Customer Question
I was charged with...

I was charged with domestic assault on December 24 2017. I am a 52 year old woman. I have never been in trouble with the law. My lawyer says he can get the charges dropped. The first court date is February 6, 2018. My husband and I booked a trip to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic in October 2017. Will I be allowed in to Dominican Republic? My lawyer says I should have no problem.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I'm in Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, I have retained a criminal attorney. He seems to think it should be no problem. I'm a Canadian Citizen, I work for Wells Canada - Canadian division - the whole thing was a big misunderstanding.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. I can't get my money back for the trip.Please help!

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Canada Law
1/20/2018
Lawyer: CaptanLaw, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
CaptanLaw
CaptanLaw, Lawyer

Sorry to hear about the situation.

Can I clarify whether it is your husband who is the alleged victim? If so, do you have release conditions prohibiting contact with him?

Hi. Yes it is my husband. I was released the same evening I was charged. My husband had talked to the detective and told him he wanted me home. The only other condition of my release was to refrain from alcohol until my first court date.

Sorry, I just read that you are represented by counsel.

There are strict rules in my jurisdiction regarding providing 2nd opinions to individuals who have counsel. I'm going to opt out on this one, and let another expert field it.