My son has been getting dental work done without informing…

Hi my son has...

Hi my son has been getting dental work done without informing me and his girlfriend has been taking him i

Lawyer's Assistant: What province are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

And signing for all the work. And in ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Gone in and told the dentist she has no rights to

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The girlfriend has been doing the same at his school had a meeting in regards ***** ***** iep program and signed for everything and used a false last name pretending to be his wife. School was informed this was all false and not ok to have none of his parents there

1/19/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

What does the order or agreement say about custody and access?

Only stats week about custody. Week with myself a week with sons dad. It's is a very short and sweet.

But does it talk about joint custody?

Does it deal with school or dental appointments etc?

Why didn't you know about the IEP?

Does not cover anyrhing but joint custody, shared residents
Both parents have to sign and IEP papers.. So one to each house

So did you get the notice?

I am puzzled as to how she went to a meeting without your being there.

It was more of her being at the school to pick up kids and running into the principal rather then a meeting

I see.

She is not a legal guardian for your child. She has no legal status. She can get some delegated authority from the child's father. That would not include speaking to the school except about practical matters such as she is picking him up but may be late or something of that nature. She cannot hold herself out as a parent or guardian. She is not.

And in terms of the dentist she can take him to the dentist but certainly cannot consent when parental consent is needed.

The father has as much right as you do to take the child to the dentist but all major decisions and these would include medical and dental decisions, decisions about your child's education, religion etc are to be made with you both jointly.

Does that clarify the law?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Absolutely thank you. I appreciate that.

You are very welcome.

I am a senior family lawyer and I will be here if you need me again.

For now please be sure to rate me before you leave the site so that I can receive credit for my work.

Thanks and take good care.

Debra, Lawyer