Just paid deposit for reno work yesterday and want to

Customer Question
Just paid deposit for...

Just paid deposit for reno work yesterday and want to cancel. how?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Im in alberta canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Work not to start until next month maybe. no waork started just the undetailed quote and panicly i paid deposit because i needed the work done.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They haven't cashed deposit yet

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
1/19/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Have you told them you want to change your mind an cancel?

What does it say about cancellations on the quote?

No details in quote or timelines. We are under tight schedule to have work down and this contractor now tells me he cant' do it in our time frames. After I signed and gave deposit. Just signed yesterday.

So are you able to say that after agreeing he changed the time line on you?

after originally telling them the timeline i needed, then when signed the contract and gave a deposit I asked when he would be starting. He then said "in about a month. Bye" I just stood there shocked. I am now afraid because I gave him a deposit and definitely will not be even started within the timelines needed.

Then stop payment on the cheque.

You can to an agreement and as soon as you paid him he tried to change the terms unilaterally and without your consent.

If he dares to sue you then you will defend and simply state in court that after coming to an agreement he then told you he would not be starting for about one month.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 6 months ago

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?