I have had a tenant on a per month basis for a little over…

I have had a...

I have had a tenant on a per month basis for a little over two years. He is a recovering alcoholic and unbeknownst to me, has had six crisies - the final one required my calling his contacts to check him out and they took him to an er for detoxing. we never signed a formal lease and we had an agreement that he had to bide by and if he broke the af=greement, he had to move. Right now, he is an er, has not paid rent for this month and I need him to leave by April for the safety and security of my family and home.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Quebec

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Yes, basic maintenance. No smoking or drugs, no pets due to allergies, it includes appliances, heat, electricity, wifi, storage area ....

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He has been given a chance twice before, that he will have to leave if he continues falling off the wagon. i now have to have work done on my upstairs flat (kids' room, bathroom and kitchen, and will need to take over the flat downstairs for my family use.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am fine with email .
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to know what paperwork I would need to do to ensure that the agreement is null and void , with three months notice as a courtesy....
1/17/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Why is your family in danger?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I babysit my 4 year old grandson here twice a week, and their family stays over, have upstairs tenants who are elderly and frail and there is the possibility of his leaving doors unlocked, (it happened ) stove on or unattended . When he falls off the wagon so to speak, he does not take care of the space, we share laundry facilities as well, and my adult children do not feel that it is a secure situation. He was given notice that he could no longer continue to stay unless he agreed to take care of himself - get help and attend AA meetings. etc. This is the sixth time that he has broken his promise, and the last time, one of his mentors came to find him and we had to send him to the emergency by ambulance because he was totally hydrated.
My downstairs flat was filled to the brim with bottles and vomit and wine on walls etc. -Unfortunately, he cleans up well - until the next bout. Sunday night I called his colleagues and after holing up downstairs with no lights or movement for 10 days I knew it was crucial to do something.
He has to decide for himself whether he wants to live or keep drinking himself to oblivion.
I am not his parent, but am in touch with members of his family who can no longer deal with him.
It is not a model for my children or grandchildren. And I am not prepared to have someone destroy themselves under my roof.
It is a separate flat but connected to the main floor - so I do hear and smell - and am aware of problems. My water main is in his livingroom and I have to have constant access for plumbing etc. I am now in need of repairing my bathroom and kitchen
- it is an old house, but the basement was renovated years ago for my elder daughter so it has a more modern feel.
I am a senior of 72, I grew up in this building, cared for my own parents and now am helping my kids. It has always been a safe haven. Until now.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My tenant is 44 years old, a freelance musician and house painter. According to his family this has been going on for over 20 years.

I understand. He is depriving you of your right to peaceful enjoyment of your home. He is also putting you all in danger. On top of that he is destroying the unit.

This gives you the right to terminate the lease (article 1860 Civil Code Quebec).

You should call the Regie tomorrow and they will assist you in determining how best to proceed. Here are the telephone numbers you may need:

Montréal, Laval and Longueuil

514 873-BAIL (2245)

Elsewhere

1 800 683-BAIL (2245)

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer
Debra, Lawyer