I was thinking of starting a cannabis based YouTube channel…

I was thinking of...

I was thinking of starting a cannabis based YouTube channel here in Canada after legalization and I wanted to name it "The Circle" based on That 70s Show. I am not sure if this would be allowed or if this would be infringing on the creators intellectual property.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Alberta, Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have not started the channel. I am wanting to find out if it is safe to create it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that pretty much covers it

1/17/2018

If there are other YouTube channels with that name, it could be problematic, but strictly looking from it from the perspective of the reference to the That 70s Show sitcom, the relation seems far too tenuous to be considered any infringement of any sort on their intellectual property. From what you've stated, I don't see there being any issues in that regard, or anything that would disallow you from starting this channel based on that subtle and arguably somewhat ambiguous reference to that show.

Hopefully that is of assistance.