I live in subsidized living for seniors. I am moving out for…

I live in subsidized...

I live in subsidized living for seniors. I am moving out for not the least of reasons, Bed bugs. They haven't been detected in my unit as yet, but i feel it's only a matter of time. The unit to the north of me was infested last August and a unit above me had them last Nov,Dec. They inspected my place on the 27th Dec with no findings. I've been told by long time residents that most of the building was infected about 2-3 years ago. When I handed in my notice to move they told me I must do certain things or be charged a fee for them doing it not the least of which was moving the fridge and stove out and clean behind them. I can do that, that isn't the problem. It wasn't done when I moved in because I did that and cleaned behind them. What about the 4'9" little old lady with osteo porosis? They insist that I pay for steam cleaning the carpet even if I comply with all their requirements. A sum of $80.00. Is this proper? Isn't there something about normal wear and tear? I have saved other items I thought to be of interest. One being a news letter warning us not to open windows in the winter as the heating system may freeze and burst a pipe. They state, "It resulted in approxamately $34,000.00 damage. I doubt any of you could afford to pay for this. I would highly recommend renters insurance" Within 2 weeks I received a sales phone call from a local agent. I have only been here a bit over a year and a half but I really resent the way I feel I've been treated. Are these fees legal and proper?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

I'm sorry if I've gotten State side. I typing from Red Deer Alberta Canada.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I have handed in my notice to vacate and they made me sign an agree to pay form.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm not very good at this format of communication I would prefer a phone call if possible.

1/16/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

If you want a call you have to click on the call button.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess we'll type,(as best I can). Some times I get my forefingers tangled.

You are correct in that you do not have to leave the unit in a better state that it was in when you were given the unit.

And you are also correct that you are not liable for regular wear and tear.

So if the home is as good as you got it but a bit older looking because of the 1.5 years then you are not liable for any further cleaning or repair costs.

Tell them you are not paying anything and they can sue you. It is highly unlikely that they will sue you for these small fees but if they do then come back to the site and I will assist you in defending yourself.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer
Debra, Lawyer