I have been asked to add $50.00 monthly to my rent monthly…

I have been asked...

I have been asked to add $50.00 monthly to my rent monthly because I use an air conditioner in summer. We are told that as long as the unit is installed, including winter, we have to pay this amount. I will mention that my lease includes hydro and heat. I view this as a rent increase. Understanding the cost of hydro has skyrocked, it appears I am asked to pay for my unit although the chances of my using this unit in January or any cold month is a money grab, in my opinion. I want to know what my rights are. I am willing to pay extra for summer months, June to September. As a pensioner, or even as a younger tenant, can they arbitrarily ask for money from me for an expense I have not incurred.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

I believe I am in the wrong site. I am in Canada/

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

None. I have had neither in the almost 10 years I have been here.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is the only issue I have.

1/15/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

What province are you in please?

Ontario

This is an illegal rent increase and you can refuse to pay it.

The landlord can raise the rent once per year. And for 2018 the rent can be increased by 1.8%.

So unless the $50 is the first rental increase in a year and represents 1.8% or less it is not legal.

Does that make sense?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Your response is exactly what I needed to know. I thank you for helping this senior keep that $50. for important things, like a dinner out with her friends. You have certainly earned a 5 star medal!! Thanks again! dmb

Thanks!

But please be sure to rate me by actually clicking on the stars at the top of the page so that I can receive credit for my work.

Thanks and take good care.

Debra, Lawyer
Debra..thank you very much for your speedy response. You gave me the answer I needed and I can now proceed/ I appreciate your assistance.

You are very welcome.