Can I change power of attorney on my will myself or do I…

Customer Question
Can I change power...

Can I change power of attorney on my will myself or do I have to see a lawyer?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

Ontario canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
1/15/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

There is no law that says you must retain a lawyer to do either change but the fact is that changing a Will is a bit complex. You don't change it physically rather you do a codicil. And if you don't do it right the consequences could be very serious.

In terms of your POA you would renounce the first and do a second in most cases.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?