I rented a place from my sister in Terrace BC. I lived there

Customer Question
Hi I rented a place...
Hi I rented a place from my sister in Terrace BC. I lived there for a year. I was doing her a favor by renting it due to the short notice of moving, her stuff being left there(including animals) and a huge mess. My dad didn't want to leave either. It was a very big house, too much for my income. She was aware and as she was already renting to dad, her son was originally going to stay and pay rent too but last minute he left as well. They just remortgaged house so they would have money to move which left us paying $1600, Hydro was included which they paid $400 mth so that was added making everything $2000 mth. I could have easily rented a small space as was just my son, bf and I. Dad not included but again could have rented a smaller place for much cheaper. They had hopes that we would fix up the house, and any work and items to fix would come off rent or be paid by them (time it took to fix too) Over that year of renting we had cleaned up entire house just to b able to move in, did tons of much needed work(without pay back) and had acted as the landlord to many tenants as was hard to find good ones and or keep them. Sister is holding me accountable to rent not paid due to tenants last minute leaving without so much a mth notice let alone a DAY. My dad got sick, passed away Jan,15. which again left me with another space to rent and clean on top of my bf losing job and me keeping up with two jobs. Long story short, she not only illegally locked and kicked me out recently due to unpaid rent of tenants(which I asked to move and they insisted wanted to find renters and get it paid) they knew the stress it was causing on me, they were not nice when rent was late they would post all over Facebook for my coworkers, friends and family to c. I had left out of town to deal with death of family. Things seemed to go okay until one day they decided that I had to get out. They wouldn't even wait for me to get back to pack my own things. When I returned back I had no home, things stolen and missing, animals taken away and a new family moved into the place...they also let the ones renting keep and use my furniture. Items include new 55inch flatscreen tv, in box blue tooth speaker, other tv, bbq, the list goes on. I didn't get even so much as a thank you for the work we have done to the place. I would like to open a file against her but don't know to start
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Canada bc
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: as far as file for tenacy act goes for items missing some were reported to cops
Submitted: 12 days ago.Category: Canada Law
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
shes also trying to hold me accountable for $1000 rollover hydro bill, along with rent owed from tenants moving last min. what is the time frame I have to pursue legal action and what files do I need to complete
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/10/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 12 days ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Are you saying you were a paying tenant and the owner, your sister did not live in the house with you?

Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 11 days ago

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!

Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor