I am a website developer. Recently, I worked on a project…

Customer Question
Hi, I am a...

Hi, I am a website developer. Recently, I worked on a project with aggressive timeline and informed client about missing it before taking the project. He said he will take the risk. But this talk happened on the phone therefore I have no recording as an evidence. Since deadline is missed now client is harassing me to take legal action against me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

FYI - no contract was signed for this work

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Toronto ON

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Few emails were exchanged about the project and price. there were no terms and conditions via email. only phone conversation

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Client is asking for my company name if i have any and address. I have not sent this info yet.
I am a part time freelancer and don't have a company
client hasn't paid me a dime for the work i have done. 70% of the project was over by the deadline.
1/9/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

But what is you specific question and what exactly is he saying he would be suing for?

In the beginning of Dec 2017 one of my old client (8 years' ago did a project for him) wanted me to do a website for him for Christmas. I told him timeline is very aggressive and I don't have that kind of time to meet your deadline but if you want I can try but does not guarantee. He said he will take the risk. No contract was signed. No payment is made till date. I started the project and missed the deadline. Today, I got his email that he is filing a law suite against me. For that he need my Company name if I have one else he will use my name and address. Hence, I am here with you to find out where I am in this situation.
few emails were exchanged regarding project and price estimate (nothing formal just 2 line estimate).

I understand all the facts from your first post. They were very clear.

But what does he say he is suing for? He's not even paid you a thing?

So for example, is he saying he is losing money because you are beyond the deadline?

He only says you missed the deadline. I have people to use my application and I lost that business opportunity.
that application did not had any option to make money for him at this phase. he wanted to test application with bare bones. if concept becomes hit then he would had add more features and then may be tried to make some money out of it. There are too many IFs in his concept to make money for him (in my opinion)

I understand.

What I suggest you do is send him a letter by Registered Mail or if possible have a lawyer send it.

Set out the facts and tell him that you are shocked given that you came to an agreement after making it crystal clear to him that you could not likely meet the deadline. You can also say that he is being dishonest in saying he is losing money because of you and explain why. And then you can say that this all the more shocking since he is yet to pay you at all. You can tell him that as far as you are concerned it is no longer possible for you to work with him and then give him a deadline for paying you what you've earned so far. Tell him you will sue him if he fails to comply.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer