I need legal advice. I’m in Ontario, Canada. I was sent a…

Customer Question
I need legal advice. ...

I need legal advice.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I’m in Ontario, Canada.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I was sent a card to my former residence to contact local police from the previous province

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can you ask if the officer asks me to come back to the province for court. Do I have to oblige or can I tell them I can’t because I don’t live in that province anymore.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Canada Law
1/9/2018
Lawyer: CaptanLaw, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
CaptanLaw
CaptanLaw, Lawyer

Hello

As per the Terms of Service, we are here to provide general legal information, not specific legal advice. If you want specific legal advice, you must contact a criminal lawyer in your area.

What I can tell you about your situation is as follows:

- If the police are looking to speak to someone, whether it is a suspect of a crime or a witness, there is NO legal obligation for that person to call the police back or visit them at the station - even if the police ask for that.

- If the police are looking for you as a suspect of a crime, and if you do not return the police's request for you to contact them, they may issue a "warrant" for your arrest. The warrant may be executed either in that province alone (where the alleged offence took place), or for more serious matters, the police can execute a Canada wide warrant, which is executable in the entire country (rather than in just the host province)

- If you would like to find out more information about what is happening, such as to seek clarification as to why the police are looking to you to contact them, you can contact a criminal lawyer (in the originating province) to call on your behalf. With the information that the lawyer gathers, you may be in a better position to determine what you want to do.