I have a question regarding child adoption. I adopted a

Customer Question
Hi, i have a...

Hi, i have a question regarding child adoption. I adopted a child outside Canada but it doesn’t have adoption papers because the child is directly registered in my name as her mom. Now, I wanted to get her to come in Canada and live with me. What should I do now since I don’t have an adoption papers but i have her legal birth certificate in my name?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I’m from BC. The child is in Philippines

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. Because I’m not sure. I wanted to make sure of everything before i filed my sponsorship for her

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I’m a permanent resident in canada. I was in Philippines when the child was born so we registered her directly in my name. I have the legal copy of her birth certificate from Philippines

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Canada Law
1/8/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

How did you get your name on her birth certificate without a court order?

We registered her directly in my name when she was born.

I don't know if that is lawful in the Philippines but it is certainly not in Canada. Canada is not going to recognize this as a legal adoption. So you will need to go through proper legal channels to adopt the child before you can sponsor the child.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were hoping for.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

No. Thank you.

Then please rate me before you leave the site so that I can receive credit for my work and please don't shoot the messenger!

Thanks.