I live with my boyfriend Matt and. Matt and co-own the

Customer Question
I live with my...

I live with my boyfriend Matt and Adam. Matt and Adam co-own the house. I moved in the house in May 2017. We are currently working in Washington DC and have been here the majority of the time. Matt and I had an argument because I locked him out of the bedroom and he's given me an eviction notice for the house in Calgary, Alberta. In the notice he has given me 30 days to leave the Calgary house. We are both on contract here in Washington DC for the 30 days. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

None. There was only a verbal agreement that I would pay Matt $225 and Adam the second $225

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Adam is currently at the house while we are working in the US

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
1/7/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

In you verbal tenancy agreement what was discussed about notice periods for termination of the tenancy?

Is this a month-to-month tenancy or is it a fixed term tenancy?

There was never any discussions besides the fact that I would be paying half my rent to Matt and the other half to matt.
I pay before the first of every month. So I would assume it's month to month

If there is no agreement about the length of the tenancy or about notice then there is nothing you can do except move out.

The residential tenancies act does not apply to you because this is a shared accommodation and there is no agreement that says you cannot be evicted without proper notice and in fact you've been given notice.

So there is nothing you can do unfortunately.

I am very sorry I could not give you an optimistic answer but you don't have any options here.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?