I’m the primary financial provider and care giver for the…

Customer Question
I’m the primary financial provider...

I’m the primary financial provider and care giver for the family. My spouse has pretty much abandoned us and has filed for divorce. Per Ontario law, i am expected to pay half my wealth to my spouse and also provide support payments. This is very unfair.  Under what circumstances would it be beneficial to take this to court?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Canada Law
1/6/2018
Lawyer: Ulysses101, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer

Hello, that's a very sweeping question. Can you be more specific? Have there been any settlement negotiations?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there have been meeting with lawyers, and also a mediator. The mediatior wouldn’t sign off on my initial lump sum offer stating that it was not enough, and brought in my pension, spousal support, child support into the negotiations. My wife came into the marriage with a large consumer debt. Her spending habits are just as reckless today. Over the last couple of years, she been leaving for days at a time, prioritizing cottages, trips, parties over our six year old daughter. I’ve been the one parenting. Daycare, baths, meals, school, laundry, activities, play dates, appointments, emergencies, homework, cleaning, maintaining the house, paying bills on time - it’s all on me. On top of all this, I have a pretty stressful job as police officer. I think it would be least disruptive for my child if she stayed in my care and in our current house, and for me to get sole custody (I.e. status quo). mediator is discussing joint custody. also disruptive is the fact id have to move due to the amount I’m expected to pay. What should my next steps be? When will these laws change?

Is this mandatory family mediation? Are you in Toronto?

Do you have a lawyer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This isn’t a mandatory mediation. We didn’t walk of the session with any agreement. I have a lawyer already - we both dothe two things I’m concerned with are :
1 - dividing up asset - I feel I’m being screwed. is there anything I can do?
2 - joint custody - can i realistically build a case to keep my kid with me? Would it have to go to court? Wouldn’t this be financially destructive?I don’t know how to navigate this system.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My lawyer is recommending settling out of court.

Well, it takes to for a mediation, and if it didn't work out then at least you tried.

You have a lawyer who knows you and the facts so it would be hard for me to give you a second opinion when I don't know you or the case. If I tell you something different from your lawyer then you won't know who to trust, and that's not helping you.

I can tell that you're frustrated. Do you have anything more specific that you want to discuss with me? There are no stupid questions so go ahead. The more you learn about family law the better decisions you'll make, and give your lawyer better instructions with less time spent, and that'll save you money too on legal fees.

So what's on your mind? You want to talk about property division but I don't know anything about your financial situation. I can talk to you about joint custody if you wish, so you know more about it and can have more meaningful conversations with your lawyer and instruct accordingly. Let's talk about custody. What's going on there?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ll end it right here.

As you wish. I can be a legal resource to you, but I can't replace your own retained counsel.

if you want to end all of this, then I can ask the site to refund your deposit. Shall i?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m not looking for a refund at all. It’s diligent on your part to ask for info before providing advice. I’ll reach out if I have specific questions. Thank you!

I'll be here.

Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor