Have had a woman with 2 children aged 14 and 16 living with…

Customer Question
Have had a woman...

Have had a woman with 2 children aged 14 and 16 living with me for 12 years. Relationship has gone south. Will not leave. What are my options? House was mine long before she moved in.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alberta, Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I would like to know what my legal rights are as far as getting her to leave. Can I change the locks on my home or is there another option?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Canada Law
1/5/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

As you did not get married this is not a matrimonial home so she has no right to remain. If you want her to leave and she does not essentially she is trespassing.

You can legally change the locks. But, the problem is that the police don't seem to understand the law and generally treat these cases as if you were legally married and so this would be a matrimonial home. So they often tell the home owner they cannot change the locks and must let the other person in.

If that is the case then your best next step would be to retain a lawyer and have the lawyers send her a demand letter threatening a lawsuit. Then if that doesn't work the lawyer would have to get a court order.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?