Read below. I am writing to inform you that NAIT recently…

Customer Question
Please read below. Lawyer's...

Please read below.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am writing to inform you that NAIT recently discovered that some of your pay information was shared without authorization. We learned the full extent of the information shared on December 19, 2017 after we received the results of a formal investigation into this matter.On October 31, 2017, an email containing your pay information, along with that of other staff members, was sent by a NAIT staff member to a small group of their personal contacts outside of NAIT. The information that was shared was your first and last name, your employee ID number and earnings paid to you between January and February 2017, as shown on your pay advices for those months.We want to assure you that the information that was shared did not include your social insurance number, banking information, credit card information, home address or date of birth. Based on the content of the email, and the findings of the investigation, we have no reason to believe your information was shared with the intention of causing you harm, including through financial loss, identity theft or fraud. The unauthorized recipients of this information have been asked to delete the email and not to use or share any of the contents.NAIT values your privacy and we want to assure you that we take this matter very seriously. We are currently reviewing and strengthening our processes and staff training on the handling of personal and confidential information to ensure that this does not happen again.I am in the Province of Alberta, Canada!

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have yet to respond to the email that notified me of this breach.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know how to proceed in questioning my company's representative. I am especially concerned that they will simply cite FOIP justifications for 1) not revealing to me who the information was directed to, and 2) not revealing to me the how my employer can prove that the my personal information will be deleted and not shared any further. This incident is a major cockup. It probably originated in the same office as the notice of the breach came from. I think that they will simply try to use FOIP justification to cover up their own incompetence or negligence or both.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Canada Law
1/4/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Why do you need to know specifically who was sent your information in error?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Really? Are you attempting to assist me or to obstruct me?

I am not sure why you are being this rude. I was trying to help. I am a senior lawyer and wanted to gather the information needed to answer in a meaningful way. I don't work with rude customers. I am opting out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was not being rude. Why are you stating that the information was revealed in error? It was wrong to reveal it, but it was done deliberately.
Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor