I am a Board member for a non-profit social service agency.

Customer Question
I am a Board...

I am a Board member for a non-profit social service agency. In the past few years our CEO has forced the resignation of some of our administrative and professional staff. At the moment the CEO is in the process of separating one more staff person. It is now becoming clear that there may be a pattern here. The Board is becoming concerned. There may be an element of unfairness here. And it is certainly a waste of agency financial resources. Each separated individual is required to sign an undertaking that he or she will not discuss the details with anyone else in order to assure the payout.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me where the nonprofit is registered?

My question is, can such an undertaking by the employee, preclude he or she talking to a Board member. we are registered in BC.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Regular annual reports to the Registrar of Societies - yes.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Canada Law
1/4/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Do you have a copy of what the employees have been forced to sign?

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay. I have others involved with this matter. I expect that we can get a copy of such a letter but do not have it at the moment.

It's hard to answer without knowing what they specifically agreed to. Can you try and get it?

I am working on that. There have been a number of such separations, apparently all of whom have signed agreements not to discuss with anyone. Our thoughts are that we are the Board and, in fact, the employer of the CEO, and that the employees (past) should be able to talk with us.

I am sure you are right but I would still feel more confident if I could read what is being signed first.

There is no rush as I am always around.

I agree. So I am working on that.

OK

Do you still need my help?

Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor