My parents incorporated and transferred their land into the…

Customer Question
My parents incorporated and...

My parents incorporated and transferred their land into the company with a promissory note attached. No payments have been made and now my sisters who have been managing the company are having my mom sue the company for the unpaid promissory note. My sisters are both powers of attorneys of mom and also directors of the company. Is this not conflict?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Saskatchewan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not sure what you mean

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
1/2/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Why do your sister's want to do this?

Is your mother mentally competent?

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!

The promissory note is worth half a million and my mom shows signs of some dimentia the sisters want to force a sale of the land or take the land back so they can sell it through mom.

Is the POA for when your mother become incompetent?
Does the enforcement of the note help your mother?

The sisters have had full control of the entire company and never paid a cent to the parents my dad had control of finances for 4 years and never paid himself or mom. I do not believe my mom needs the money and my sisters had their names on two accounts of dads before he died as joint owners for 187000 they never put mom name on account although dad left everything to mom

Why do they want to do this?

They got the piano in 2012 when my dad got sick

I don't understand.

If you meant the POA I need to know if it for when your mother is incompetent and also whether you think she cannot make decision for herself any more.

Also, I need to know why they want to do this.

It is simple question can someone sit on a BOD for a company and sue the same company as POA for another?

That's not really the full issue but if you want that answered then the answer is they have to reveal a conflict of interest but they would not be suing the corporation on their own so it's not unlawful to do so.

If you want a more meaningful answer that actually covers the main issue which is not what you think is the main issue let me know but then I need the answer to my questions.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.