I'm renting a 1brd apartment and when we first moved in we…

Customer Question
I'm renting a 1brd...

I'm renting a 1brd apartment and when we first moved in we asked the owner if there are any problems with bugs or anything we were told no a week later we started noticing cockroachscockroach everywhere in are fridge we've had to throw are groceries out numerous times we've spent a couple hundred dollars on bug spray and she still won't do a thing so I didn't pay rent this month or last now she s trying to kick me out can she or am I right

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

So what do I do now

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

London ont Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Like notice that I owe rent

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes we don't have a intercom to let us know when people are here to see us and she has video to watch what tenants are doing and if we have company show up she will run down and tell them that we don't want them here and to leave

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Canada Law
1/1/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

You are right that she has to deal with the pest problem and you are right that she cannot do that to your guests. But you are wrong about not paying rent. That is clear grounds for eviction.

What you will have to do if you don't want to be evicted is pay the rent. At the same time make a demand in writing that she rid the home of pests and that she cease from doing this to your guests. Tell her if she fails to comply immediately you will bring an application to the Landlord Tenant Board for an order that she deal with the pest and not treat you guests that way and for a rent abatement.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?