I am a 20 year old girl, and I met this 45 year old man

Customer Question
Hey! So I am...

Hey! So I am a 20 year old girl, and I met this 45 year old man online through a “Sugar Baby” site. Fastforward 2 years, we’ve been intimate and we have developed a relationship of sorts, and I leave to go overseas. I lied to him about where exactly overseas I am (told him the wrong country) at risk of him coming to visit me. Now here is where things get tricky. I have debt, told him I cant come home until it’s paid. He offers to pay but wants to make an agreement. Agreement is that I use the money to pay off my debts and come back to Canada to live with him. I agree, he sends money and I pay off debt. I have a change of heart on living with him (he started talking about having children with me, he is married and already has a wife and it freaked me out). He freaks out and says he will sue me. Now I definitely don’t want to live with him, and I’m worried about being sued. He sent me this money on his own, with his own free will. Does he have grounds to sue me, since I decided not to live with him and I lied about what country I was in at the time?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I don’t think its real estate? But youre the lawyer. Its ontario, Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet I dont think

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think thats it!

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Canada Law
12/31/2017
Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer,
 replied 6 months ago
insearchoftheanswer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer,
 replied 6 months ago

I just realized you were in Canada. I'm in the U.S. so I'll opt out so a Canadian lawyer can help you. Please do not respond to this post as it will only slow the process of such an expert picking up your question. Take care.

Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear this.

If the money was a conditional gift and was only be made if you agreed to live with him then it is possible that he can sue you successfully. Unfortunately, it sounds like he was not at all intending to make a straight gift and you clearly knew that.

I suggest you pay him back to avoid a lawsuit and then cut all ties from him.

I can discuss further if you like but not now as it is new year's leave. I will check back again last tonight.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?