I got married with a Canadian citizen in 2005 and we had no…

Customer Question
Hello , I got...

Hello , I got married with a Canadian citizen in 2005 and we had no children . We lived in Mexico the whole 11 years of our marriage . We got separated in Jan 2017 and since then we had no contact . She decided that she wants the divorce and for that she will place a divorce in Canada and in Mexico . She is asking me the half of the house value . That house I had it before we got married and is in Mexico not in Canada . Now she is living in Canada and i'm in Mexico and she wants the half of the house value . If we got married under Ontario laws , does it applies in case my house and other assets are in Mexico? I already sold the house to my mother during our separation . The house is not in my name anymore . Please let me know if in case of he divorce , the Canadian law can still reach its arm to my country and make me pay to her the half of my ex-house ? what laws applies in this case ?

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page. What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I haven't file any papers yet . She haven't either . I guess she will file for a divorce in few weeks

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by province. What province are you in?

I'm in Mexico , She is living in Ontario

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Canada Law
12/27/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am not sure what happened. You opted me out in the middle of my drafting a lengthy reply. I have no idea why. You've now removed the opt out. I have no idea why you did that either. The answer was lost and I won't try again until I hear back from you letting me know what happened and confirming you wish to go ahead.