I have a question.. I rent a barn and pastures for horses. I…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a question.. I rent a barn and pastures for horses. I believe the property is a commercial property. My rental contract states that I am to pay $2150 pet month. After signing, my land lord decided I have to also pay HST. So I have actually been paying $2430. There is nothing in my contract about paying HST .I have been paying it because I feel there is no other option and that I will be evicted if I don't... so my question is, can he just decide to charge me HST when it's not written in the contact?

Lawyer's Assistant: What province are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

This is the first thing I thought Of, to ask someone who has a better understanding of these laws

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I've been paying this for a year. I have not paid my Dec rent, as I decided to close my business due to lack of business and the state of the property. My landlord says it's "as is" and the fences are literally rotting at the ground and falling over. I gave 60 days notice and paid first and last upon signing a year ago

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Canada Law
12/23/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Can you please attach to contract so I can read it?

Thanks

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!