I am in ontario. So i moved to ontario n got iD from 5years…

Customer Question
I am in ontario ...

I am in ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

So i moved to ontario n got iD from 5years ago and still havent switch my driver licence from quebec

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Becuz there was conditions on my driver licence following drinking driving n refus

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 4 days by:
12/26/2017
Lawyer: Ulysses101, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer

Hello, thank you for the question.

There were obviously no experts around over the holidays but I'm here this afternoon, for a while anyway. Shall we talk about your topic?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okok

What are the issues regarding your license, then? What can I help you with?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i have a quebec driver licence and trying to switch to serviceontario
I got ontario health card 5 years ago

And Service Ontario isn't co-operating?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I couldnt switch it over because conditions on licence regarding drinking driving im worry that its going to be a problem cuz i already got health card

Having a health card isn't the problem, of course. You were convicted for a refusal to provide a breath sample?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i was and was told by service Ontario they dont take my files until no more condition so i finish a 5 years program in quebec now i need ontario licence since i live here how is that so complicate honestly

What is the condition? Is there a five year driving prohibition?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One year. Condition was driving with breathalizer wish i had over 4years...
I got my licence with no more condition
Last month..
Im worry when i go to switch it i get in trouble because i have purple card already
With mail box adresses on it

So you had a 4 year breathalyzer condition after a one year suspension. That four years isn't up yet?

And you want to know if you can get your Ontario license before the 4 year breathalyzer condition has expired?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im done with the program no more conditions in quebec ready to switch over
Supposed to switch over licence within 60 days
After u move

Your license from another province is valid for a period but the law says that if you have moved to the new province, you need a license issued in that new province, and the license shows your current address.

What is the issue with Service Ontario for getting an Ontario drivers' license? Have you tried to get it yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When i try it was conditions they told me i couldnt untill condition was there
I live both provinces back n forth
I needed id so i got purple card like i didnt have driver licence
Now should i not try switch it and just get new one
Is it like fraud cuz i didn’t switch it for so long

The issue here is that you can only have one primary residence. Where do you live, Ontario or Quebec? That's the province which you should be getting your drivers license, and that province's address is what should be on the drivers' license.

I don't think it's fraud if there was a legitimate reason for the confusion.

Does that make sense?

It's not fraud to do what you have done because you didn't make false claims, on purpose, to get some kind of advantage or benefit.

Instead, it's an offence under the Provincial Offences Act if you don't have your current address showing on your drivers' license. So if you have an Ontario Drivers License, because you live primarily in Ontario, you need an Ontario address on your license, and that address has to be your principle address in Ontario. Even when you move around inside the province, you have to update your address on the license to your current address.

So, pick the address and province you live in primarily, and stick to it for licenses and tax purposes. I believe that this is is the source of your difficulty.

Is that logical? I'm here if you have further question or comment. If I've answered you, then may I please have a positive service rating so that I get paid by the site for helping its customers? I'd appreciate it.

Ulysses101
Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer