My sister, diagnosed with bipolar II and schizoaffective…

Customer Question
My sister, diagnosed with...

My sister, diagnosed with bipolar II and schizoaffective disorder with 6 psych. hosp'ns in last 2 years, 4 in last 5 m's, is joint POA with me for our 93 yr mom with advanced dementia; her lawyr acc'd me of extortion when I ref'd to return her dog after taking care of it during her 2 most recent hosp's unless she agreed to sign my letter requesting that tax department and Veteran's Affairs change the address to which they send correspondance for Mom from my sister's address to mine. They will only send to one address. I found piles of unopened correspondance to my mother and even an uncashed cheque of 3,600 dollars in her house when I had keys as my sister's POA for personal property. Her lawyer is a bully. Is his allegation merely hot air and a bullying tactic or is it cause for concern? Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I now realize that this is an American site. I live in Canada. Can you give me a ball park answer that can give me some peace of mind based on your experience in the States? Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Probably a pile of stuf Sorry. Probably a lot more, but I think that I've given a pretty good picture.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
She signed the 2 letters I gave her but also added in that she wanted it sent to her address as well, which ruined the letters meaning I couldn't send them as the tax department and Veteran's Affairs will only keep the default address, which is my sister's. Because we are joint POA's they won't make even an address change to mine (I am joint POA) without my sister's permission. Because Canada's mental health laws make it nearly impossible to declare someone incompetent (incredibly low bar, unlike US), my sister has been able to create alot of problems for my mom while still technically considered "competent". I don't need advice on this aspect of the problem as I've read through Canada's mental health act and understand the situation. But I do need to know if her lawyer can actually follow through on what I think is a small mistake on my part. This is the lawyer who, last June actually acted on my sister's paranoid delusions that our mother was being abused by the wonderful nurses at Canada's premiere Veteran's Wing at Sunnybrook Hospital here in Toronto (gold standard in Canada for advanced dementia care - my 93 wheel chair bound year old mother has advanced dementia) to try to sue them and get a settlement out of them, (an effort which thankfully collapsed after my sister attempted to abduct our mother in the middle of the night resulting in a criminal negligence and mischief charge by the police and which to my sister being banned from entering Sunnybrook property).
Oh, and I gave her her dog back right away. We had taken such good care of her dog for 5 1/2 weeks, no small feat for us as my husband and I are both incredibly busy. But we walked her twice a day no matter what, and took great care of her. We love her dog. It was hard to give her back as she has had to be rescued twice during my sister's hospitalizations. She is too paranoid to give anyone a key to her house and so it has taken heroic measures to get her dog out of her house twice. I didn't want to give her back because my sister refuses to take medication. She breached the ban Sunnybrook Veteran's Wing had imposed on her and spent one week in jail before being tried and then sent to a facility to be treated until competent enough to stand trial. I think her case was diverted into the mental health courts where her conviction will be lifted on the condition that she accept medication for a period of time, but she refuses to tell me the details. Before this she refused to take medication and so after every previous hospitalization where she'd be treated for two weeks to the point that she could pass a competency test, she'd be released and then stop the medication. The whole cycle then begins again. Incredibly sad story for a someone who was a wonderful school teacher for 25 years. Incredibly frustrating for me trying to keep my mother's affairs safe from her maniacal delusions.
Due to the sensitive nature of this question and some specifically mentioned names could I ask that the question and answer not be posted for the general public to read? My sister or her lawyer could easily find it and I don’t want to make a bad situation worse. I did not realize till now that you made such information available.
If Just Answer cannot assure me that this question and it’s answer will not be posted I would rather not proceed with receiving an answer and would prefer to stop the transaction.
12/20/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation. I am a lawyer in Ontario and happy to assist you.

The question can be locked so that the public cannot see it on the site. The way that works is that when we are done and as soon as you've rated me you can message me to let me know you've rated me and then I can ask the site to lock the post.

Is that OK with you?

Should I go ahead?