I was recently charged with an OWI in the U.S. Will tis

Customer Question
I was recently charged...

I was recently charged with an OWI in the U.S. Will tis prevent me from visiting Canada in June, 2018?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not sure what you mean. I did plea guilty and have paid fines, etc.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Canada Law
12/19/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Because of your criminal record at first you were considered to be inadmissible to Canada on the basis of criminality.

But, after 5 years has passed since your sentence as been completed it is sometimes possible to be deemed to have been rehabilitated when you reach the border. However, there's no guarantee as it's up to the discretion of the immigration office.

If you don't want to take a chance at the border the most prudent thing to do is to apply for individual rehabilitation. If this application is successful you will no longer have to be concerned about being turned away at the border.

But, it takes over a year to get this processed.

So, if you want to come up before then it's sometimes possible to get what is called a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). This is sometimes granted in cases like yours because of the nature of the offence.

Here is a link to the information about the TRP application:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/permits.asp

Here is the link to the webpage that explains how rehabilitation works:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312ETOC.asp

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?