Police want to charge my son three weeks after coming to my…

Customer Question
Police want to charge...

Police want to charge my son three weeks after coming to my house to talk to my son about an incident that happened at school they said they didn't want to charge him they just wanted him to take a course at the ***** ***** society but they said they didn't feel they had a course to fit his needs. Now today they want me to bring him to the police station to be charged I need help

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Help me

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
12/16/2017
Lawyer: Ulysses101, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer

Hello, thank you for the question.

How old is your son?

What happened, and what is he being charged with? Don't use details that can identify anyone please.

16 I believe sexual assuslt, and him and his gf were kissing she asked him to stop they did and they went back to class th officer was happy with his honest 3 weeks ago now he wants to charge him because the course wouldn't help him
I'm broke. And it sucks

So, who is the complainant here? Or were they simply observed "getting fresh" contrary to school policy? How old is the girlfriend?

14 and the school.

You can't stop the child from being charged. But the child will qualify for legal aid help, I'm certain.

Go to the station, get your first court date, don't argue with the police while you're there because that will only make it worse. Clearly someone higher up has decided to make an example of your son.

If he's a good kid, does well in school, strong family supports, no criminal record, he should be fine. He's likely to get diversion of some kind. Get him into some counselling now if you can, he needs to learn to follow the school rules and that at 16 he shouldn't be going after 14 year olds.

Does that make sense?

He imhas been kicked out of cadets amd everything. And there is nothing we can do? I have to walk him to the police and let them taint his reputation. And life

If you don't bring him there, a warrant for his arrest will issue.

And there has to be more to it than they were just kissing. Just wait for the evidence before losing your mind over this.