I own a rental property near Crawford Bay, BC where the

Customer Question
I own a rental...

I own a rental property near Crawford Bay, BC where the tenant is 10 months in arrears. I have served the tenant by registered mail with a 10 day notice (RTB-30) and a RTB -34. The tenant has no phone no. and does not respond to my email queries. Since I reside in Ontario I have no way to contact him in person on site. How can I ensure that he has vacated the property? I'm giving up expecting him to pay and I wish to put the property up for sale. I need proof that the tenant has been served notice,that he has vacated. How can I do this without travelling to BC which I'm not in a position to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Its in BC Kootenay district and I haven't seen the property for 5 years so I don't know the condition

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

There was no term lease, just an agreement to pay rental of $500.00 per month. The tenant was responsible for up keep and maintenance

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I need proof of notice to vacate so that I can apply to Ontario Works benefits. Also, the realtor I have contacted to sell the property won't list until the tenant issue is ressolved

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Canada Law
12/15/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

There is no legal process you can use to confirm if the tenant moved out.

You will have to ask someone to check on the property for you. You can hire someone if no one is there to do you a favour.

I am sorry there is no other legal answer but just this practical one.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer