Thank you Pearl please I just want to ask a question my boss…

Customer Question
Thank you Pearl my...

Thank you Pearl my name is ***** ***** I just want to ask a question my boss fired me some couples of weeks ago I was owing one of my colleague some amount, because of a punishment to me, he removed the said amount I am owing my co worker without my authorization and some dollars higher than what I was owing please is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in Ontario, Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Windsor, Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Also, my boss fired me summarily for no offence of mine, having worked with him for over 20months, am I entitled to termination pay thansk Thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
12/13/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Are you saying you were not given any written warnings before but they are now saying you are being dismissed for just cause?

And on top of that your employer took off money you allegedly owed a co-worker from your paycheque!

If an employer wants to dismiss an employee for cause the employer is required to provide the employee with written warnings, unless the employee`s conduct is so extraordinary that immediate dismissal is warranted.

As this was not the case then you should consider a claim for wrongful dismissal and seek damages from your employer.

Generally the damages would be equal to what you would receive had you been dismissed without cause. If that had been the case you would have been entitled to receive "reasonable" notice or pay in lieu of notice.

Generally, in determining what is reasonable notice Courts look at several factors including the length of time you worked for the employer, your age, your position, the likelihood of finding new employment etc.

At the high end, if you were in a managerial position, the Court would likely order one month's notice or pay in lieu of notice for each year of employment. If you were not in a managerial position the Court would order somewhat less.

And it is entirely unlawful for the employer to deduct that payment from your paycheque.

You can speak to the Employment Standards Branch and get some help.

Here is a link to the contact information you will need:

https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/feedback/index.php

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?